Aqara M2 Hub Begins to get Matter Help with V4 Firmware
Aqara are one of many first corporations to start the rollout of the brand new Matter royalty-free residence automation normal.
Matter is a brand new connectivity normal for IoT gadgets to allow all kinds of sensible residence equipment to work collectively throughout manufacturers and ecosystems. Through an M2 hub with this new firmware, the Aqara Zigbee gadgets will be capable to connect with the Matter-ready, third-party apps over Wi-Fi. However this firmware will not replace the Zigbee gadgets to assist Thread.
At first, it’s going to solely be the Aqara M2 Hub that can obtain the replace and the rollout seems to be incremental. Once you log in to the app, you may be given the choice to improve to the firmware model 4.0.0 (beta). Once I tried, it was solely V3.5 that’s accessible.
It is estimated to take 4-6 weeks for all of the M2 hubs to obtain the firmware replace. Different Aqara hubs, together with the Hub M1S/M1S Gen 2, Hub E1, Digicam Hub G3 and Digicam Hub G2H Professional will obtain comparable firmware updates within the following months.
Aqara has supplied a information to verify the improve goes as easily as attainable:
Customers are strongly urged to examine the necessities rigorously earlier than continuing:
- Please make sure the Aqara Dwelling app is up-to-date (model 3.0.8 or larger), and linked to one of many world servers outdoors Mainland China;
- Please bind not less than 1 Zigbee system to the M2 hub earlier than binding the M2 to any third-party platforms by way of Matter;
- Please make sure the M2 hub, the Matter controller gadgets (e.g. HomePod mini, Nest Hubs, and many others.) and the cell phone with Matter-ready app are on the identical native community (similar SSID);
- If customers intend to bind the M2 hub to Apple Dwelling by way of Matter, please make sure the firmware model of Apple gadgets (e.g. iPhone, HomePod mini) is up-to-date (model 16.3 or larger).
Please additionally word that binding current gadgets to Matter will not require customers to reset every little thing. Customers can hold utilizing HomeKit (advised), and join Aqara gadgets to different system(s) by way of Matter.
Matter is a brand new normal, and Aqara is aware of that the Matter experiences of Aqara gadgets nonetheless has quite a lot of limitations.
- At this stage, we’ve got 40+ Aqara gadgets which are capable of join with Matter by way of the M2 hub (please confer with this list). And solely the worldwide variations of those gadgets are assured to get Matter assist, because the Chinese language variations of a few of the gadgets will not be supported in the intervening time.
- In case of connecting the gadgets to Apple Dwelling by way of Matter, please word that it is rather delicate to the Wi-Fi router high quality and sign. If the sign will not be sturdy sufficient, it’s going to typically present “No response”.
- So as to add the gadgets to Google Dwelling by way of Matter, customers must have considered one of Google Dwelling or Nest gadgets as a Matter controller (please confer with this blog). Additionally, customers must have an Android cellphone for the Matter-ready Google Dwelling app, as Google Dwelling on iOS gadgets doesn’t assist Matter but.
- Amazon Alexa and Samsung SmartThings don’t assist Matter Bridge (reminiscent of Hub M2) system sort but, and can’t join the Zigbee gadgets which are linked to the M2 by way of Matter in the intervening time.
- The brand new firmware is a BETA model, and it might has some bugs which can trigger surprising affect in some instances. If occurs, please attempt to unbind from Matter and re-add the hub to Matter app.