Remap VMware Cloud Director™️ customers to new Identification Suppliers – Half 2: Tenant customers
Within the earlier weblog we remapped a supplier (native) person to a SAML identification supplier federation. On this weblog we’ll remap a tenant (native) person to a SAML identification supplier federation.
As of VCD 10.4.1 remapping a person is obtainable solely as an API function. Thus, for all subsequent steps, use an API shopper of your alternative. In my examples under, I’m utilizing Postman to carry out remapping.
Pre-requisite: Be sure the Identification Supplier federation to which you need to remap person to is precisely configured.
- Login to VMware Cloud Director as an administrator (tenant or system administrator) and determine the person you need to remap. Right here, the person I’m remapping is ‘testuser’. This person is a neighborhood person and owns one vApp named ‘Testuser vApp’ (as proven under).
- Login utilizing the API because the administrator; both utilizing their credentials (native or LDAP), IDP issued tokens (SAML or OAuth) or VCD’s API Token.
API: POST “https”//api_host/cloudapi/1.0.0/periods”
- Retrieve the urn id of ‘testuser’ from query users API.
API: GET “https://api_host/cloudapi/1.0.0/customers”
Now, utilizing this urn id, fetch full info of the person. Consult with Get User
API: GET “https://api_host/cloudapi/1.0.0/customers/urn:vcloud:person:746cf0d9-788b-4aef-9fba-76f2ce49d33c”
- Copy full info of the person from earlier step and edit following properties to be used as physique of the next PUT request.
- Replace the ‘username’ to mirror the person’s username within the new Identification Supplier. Whereas this instance exhibits a definite username getting used, it’s doable to have easier updates like switching from username to e-mail handle, and many others.
- Replace the ‘providerType’ based mostly on the kind of new Identification Supplier. New values of ‘providerType’ might be OAUTH, SAML, LOCAL, LDAP.
Ship PUT request for the person to be remapped. Consult with update user for extra perception on this API.
API: PUT “https://api_host/cloudapi/1.0.0/customers/urn:vcloud:person:746cf0d9-788b-4aef-9fba-76f2ce49d33c”
The person ‘testuser’ has now been remapped to the tenant’s SAML identification supplier and its username has been remapped to ‘[email protected]’.
The remapped person can now login utilizing Single Signal On.
When logged in because the person after the change:
- The username proven in top-right nook is up to date to their new username
- The sources owned by this person stay unchanged.
Customers will be remapped from one IDP federation to a different utilizing the identical course of. If you’re remapping a person to ‘LOCAL’ supplier kind, along with updating the supplier kind replace password within the physique of PUT request.
Upcoming releases would come with enhanced functionalities for this function for a clean transition.
You will discover a demo video to remap a tenant person here.